FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pretty Bendel Things

I feel a little sick from the fact that a mere shopping bag could cheer me up. Let me explain.

Continuing on my Mother's Day shopping hunt, I ventured to the oh-so-lovely Henri Bendel to see what goodies I could find for mummy dearest. Last year, Bendel's had a darling Mother's Day trunk show with so many fun gifts. I walked in today with high hopes of searching through stationary, teacups and affordable little trinkets, but was thoroughly disappointed to find that they didn't have the same display.

I searched high and low, basement to top floor, but didn't find anything in my budget. You are probably thinking that I shouldn't be looking at Henri Bendel if I'm on a budget, but I swear last year they had many gifts perfect for any recessionista.

I did find a really cute card, which is one check off my list. I shyly went up to the counter and asked to pay for my lonely item. The sales lady had a chuckle (at the card I hope) and I gave her my $5. I thought she was just going to hand me the card, maybe throw in some tissue it at most. But to my pleasant surprise she put it in tissue and slipped it one of the famous brown & white striped Bendel bags.

Just having that little bag, dangling on my wrist as I walked to the front doors, really lifted my spirits for not yet finding a gift. I carried it as if I had purchased something more exciting like a Kenneth Jay Lane cocktail ring or Missoni scarf, and walked proudly past the girls at the front. I had them wondering what was inside, and only I knew my little secret that I carried probably the cheapest item in the entire store.

I was stopped one last time before exiting by some nice (and bored) guys who wanted to exfoliate my hands and make them "the softest you've ever felt." Ok, sure. I could use a free spa treatment. So after a Jasmin-infused hand exfoliation and total moisturization, I walked back up 5th with silky hands and my little Bendel bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment