FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Retail Therapist

On Wall Street the typical lingo is Sell! Sell! Sell! Buy! Buy! Buy!

On my street, that translates to SALE! SALE! SALE! Buy! Buy! Buy!

I can't help myself when I see those four beautiful letters placed on store fronts, they are just calling my name, asking me to come in. I once told my Mom when she confronted me on my shopping (ahem) addiction, that living in New York and seeing all the bright windows is like being an alcoholic having to walk through a liquor shop every day. It's just not fair.

We live in the center of the shopping universe, a fantasy playground for anyone who enjoys buying beautiful things. Which is why having my income cut off makes it excruciatingly painful to be surrounded by temptation.

I'm the modern-day Eve, living in the big juicy Apple.

I knew I had a problem when last month I practically tore apart my closet in search of an outfit to wear for the day. The weather was in that awkward in-between season phase, where a West-coast girl like me doesn't really know how to dress for. Everything was either hideous or too Winter-y, and I was on the verge of an outfit meltdown. After rummaging through every drawer, dresser, and closet space I put something on and walked out the door feeling the Winter-Spring blues. My friend Stephanie was visiting, so naturally we spent the afternoon shopping uptown. Then everything changed.

I was finding so many great things (on sale, I promise) and the heavy burden of my barren closet was beginning to lift. As my Bloomies card swiped at the different counters, I could feel it coming on. It was euphoria. Sick, I know. But it's true.

I wanted to skip down Lex and run to the top of the Empire State Building and shout to the city that I had just bought some fabulous things! I couldn't believe how my mood had changed so quickly and so drastically all because I found some great new J Brands, Ray Bans and some tops. Like I said, I know I have a problem.

But I am working on it.

Luckily, (or unluckily for me depending how you see it) retailers are practically begging us to spend money. There are sales going on everywhere. It's insane, really. And I love it.

Stores on every spectrum are participating in this retail rat race.

You've always wanted to be a members of the elite "Friends and Family" discount club, and now Saks is giving you the golden key. From today through Sunday, you can feel like a true friend of the Saks family with your 25% discount.

Or if you've already spent your severance pay and Saks is off limits right now, stroll over to one of the billion H&M meccas for their super sale: items are marked at $1, $5 and $10.

Whatever your budget is, you are sure to find at least one fun piece to build on your Spring 2009 wardrobe. And remember, when you're trying on that fabulous skirt and you're staring yourself down for 30 minutes in the dressing room, it's not about needing it.

Whether it be on 5th Aveue or East 5th Street, when you walk out of the store - purchases swinging in hand - you're walking on cloud nine. The best treatment for a breakup, job loss, bad hair day or any other ailment is retail therapy. There's just something about that feeling, like you've found the cure for cancer, when you find that perfect cocktail dress. Who cares if you don't actually have something to wear it to? Maybe you'll just stare at the dress for weeks, but at least its all yours.

Find that killer cocktail dress on sale? The heavens open up, everyone is dancing and singing in the streets, and you might as well float back home. Start the parade on 34th Street!

I'm not ashamed of my therapist. It doesn't judge me or make me feel bad about myself. My therapist doesn't try to diagnose me with addiction. It simply is there to encourage me when I need a little pick-me-up.

1 comment:

  1. #1 thanks for providing a constant stream of amusing distractions for me to keep me from studying...and maybe one day finding the cure to cancer...except I'll be too busy shopping, like you ;)
    #2 I get the same high from shopping, it's sick. Even more so when I can get a coveted discount, and it just feels so good to know you got it cheaper than everyone else. lol

    #3 I'll be celebrating my current and future unemployment with a new pair of Oliver People's...which I have been stalking for months, and saving all my money to buy. The things we'll do for fashion...

    Cheers

    Dan

    ReplyDelete