FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Cardboard Clothes for Earth Day?

It's not easy being green.

You turn off the water when you brush your teeth. You separate empty bottles from trash. You carry home your organic chicken from Whole Foods in the canvas totes. Every time you see that little "green" label on products, you chose them so you can do your part in the eco-revolution.

Apparently, that's not enough anymore. Those were mere baby-steps in the marathon to going green.

Now, the fashion industry is trying to jump on the hybrid band-wagon by manufacturing organic clothing. Not only do we drive, eat and live organically, but now we're supposed to wear recycled clothes to stop global warming? Isn't that what vintage shopping is for?

I certainly have nothing against designers going green, but I don't want to feel guilty for buying something that doesn't come from a tree or organic material. I love the whole hippie look from time to time, but please don't make me wear hemp shirts. Well I guess I'm more of a modern-hippie: I take daily showers, put a little braid in my hair and attempt Sienna Miller's boho-chic look.

Thankfully, you don't have to wear a cardboard cardigan in order to eco-dress. American Apparel, home of the Made-in-the-USA-every-color-of-the-rainbow-clothes, has an organic line. I am in the market for a new white-T, so I will do my part Al Gore and buy an American Apparel organic cotton shirt.

Do what you can to save the world. There are plenty of ways to go green, you may even find some ideas very, um, stimulating.

I recently painted the walls in my living room a light asparagus color, does that count for green fashion? And my parents even traded in my Passat for a Prius. Kermit the Frog was right, it's much harder than it seems.

I totally thought I was reducing my carbon footprint - I just had no idea it had to be in organic shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment