FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dear NYC Weather: It's Spring, Please Act Accordingly.

Maybe it's because I'm from Arizona - where the sun shines bright 360 days of the year - that I am a solar-powered girl.

When the skies are blue and the sun is out, I'm up early and out the door. Even if I don't have anything to do that day, I find some random task to pass my time with outside. I am so motivated to get my "work" done at home so that I can spend as much time outdoors as possible.

But when it's gray and gloomy outside my windows, I feel no need to get dressed, brush my teeth or make my bed. (For the record, it's 2:42pm and I have done none of these remedial tasks so far).

So far this "spring", New York City weather has been all over the charts. In the past 5 days, we've had 65 degrees and sunny, to complete down-pouring days to overcast and 40 degrees. I am officially diagnosing NYC with multi-personality disorder.

My Mom made a great point the other day. New Yorkers' moods rely heavily on the weather, and since our weather cannot distinguish itself between summer and winter, New Yorkers are thus a little unstable too. One day we're rejoicing in the sun, sipping happy-hour drinks on the terraces and claiming that we live in the best city on the planet. The next day everyone is pissed, moping around the city under umbrellas and dressed in head-to-toe black. Our weather is making us insane.

According to my friends' Facebook statuses and Twitter updates, it actually snowed this morning. Of course I was still snuggled in bed and sleeping off last night's wine binge when this happened, but I was completely shocked to hear the news of snow in April. When I woke up we had blue skies, then about 20 minutes later blue turned to gray and I got back in bed.

Today I feel completely useless, although I can't blame my current sedentary state entirely on the weather. I admit that the long dinner with friends, Italian visitors, countless bottles of wine and very little sleep must play some part of my laziness today. At least I learned some more Italian last night: Io voglio vino rosso per favore!

The combination of unemployment and bad weather is as deadly as PatrĂ³n and Bacardi 151. It's so easy to get comfortable in my cozy apartment, watching what's on my DVR list, occasionally searching for jobs online when it's raining and 35 degrees outside.

The only thing that will make me feel like my day was not a total waste is to write. And the beauty of writing is that you can do it pretty much anywhere. Currently I'm in my bed, feeling like I'm actually accomplishing something.

Now it's starting to look like the clouds might fade, and I think my two and a half cups of coffee are starting to kick in. Maybe I will find the motivation to get up and search for work, or at least get dressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment