FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Friday, June 5, 2009

Work for Your Friends

In attempt to earn some weekend cash, I decided to try that whole poor-starving-struggling-artist-thing and try my hand at waitressing/cocktailing.

Thanks to Wendi, I didn't' have to scan Craig's List to find a quick gig. Last night, her public affairs company hosted a fundraiser for a certain New York State Senator, so Sarah and I helped out. It was our job to make sure the political monkeys were having a good time, aka: have a full beverage and a snack to munch on as they chatted about important state issues, such as our budget.

While Sarah was busy pouring Pino, I walked around with trays of sliders, shrimp and chicken skewers. I must have looked like a deer in headlights, because most people just stated at me rather than take hors d'oeuvres from my tray. I felt like Dan Humphrey when he served the Sedar dinner on "Gossip Girl" - all I needed was a vest and skinny black tie.

After everyone had a few glasses of wine, the senator gave a speech on the current budget and spoke on how he looks after the common man. The entire time Wendi and I watched Sarah as she fumed in the corner, about to explode in disagreement with Senator "X" and his vote for the MTA fare hike. Luckily she was able to contain herself.

Most people preferred to serve themselves from the food buffet, which made my job easy. Either that or they just really didn't want to take the roast beef bruscetta from me. I guess I won't be applying for a waitressing job any time soon.

Wendi organized a great fundraiser - and she made sure to have plenty of wine and food so by the end of the night we had a free dinner and a bottle of wine to take home, on top of a check.

Once again, the AoH comes to the rescue!

No comments:

Post a Comment