FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lost Without LOST

I just completed my first marathon. It was rigorous and took hours of dedication. I had to push myself to keep going when at times I thought I couldn't continue. This marathon tested my strength and showed me that when I put my mind to something I can accomplish anything, no matter how great the task.

Someone get me a gold medal, because I finally finished Seasons 1 through 5 of LOST.

It all started back in April, when my friend Nate told me he wouldn't speak to me anymore if I didn't at least watch the first few episodes of the series. Feeling left out of all the convos about the show between my friends, I decided to see what this crazy island was all about.

So on a cold rainy day, after job searching of course, I went to abc.com to enter the world of Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Sayid, Sun, Jin, Hurley and the Others. I was skeptical going into it. What could be so riveting about strangers stranded on a bizarre island, with a bunch of loony characters and some underground stations? Isn't that what we're doing in New York City?

However, I was quickly proven wrong about five minutes into the pilot. Suddenly, I was hooked. And the most dangerous part, I had nothing but time and all 103 episodes at the click of my fingertips. I didn't have to wait a week for the next episode, or a summer for the upcoming season; it was all right there for my viewing pleasure. Talk about temptation.

I think that first day I finished eight episodes, which is roughly 336 minutes on the island. Winter was still lingering in NYC (as it always does), and I needed a tropical escape - without having to buy a ticket to Maui. LOST became my vacation, my drug and my life.

I completed the first three seasons in exactly three weeks. I'll let you do the math on that one. I felt like the crazy French woman, Danielle, who was cooped up in her tree house for 16 years by herself. I was cooped up in my apartment, alone, waiting for a prisoner (aka: friend) that I could capture and make watch the show with me. I wondered what kind of boobie traps I could set at my door...

I started having dreams that I was on the island, running from smokezilla and trying to get in the hatch. One night I woke up in a panic about the numbers...4 8 15 16 23 42... too afraid to look at my clock because I feared I would see the cursed numbers. I'm dead serious.

I found myself yelling at my laptop during my LOST binges. If I could just finish, then I could get back to life on this crazy island. Back to real life of job searching. The truth is, I felt more productive finishing each season than I did looking for a job. Because finding a job is about as easy as finding the island itself.

When I got to Season 5 (the last leg!), something horrible happened. It was a huge leg cramp in my marathon. Abc.com only had the last 7 episodes of the season. I didn't want to buy them on iTunes, so I thought that I had to wait until they were up on ABC. But, when a person is pushed hard enough, they find a way around challenges and leg cramps. Thanks to Bianca, I learned about Surfthechannel.com and found those lost 11 episodes of Season 5. I had to endure Japaneses subtitles and the frequent freezing and skipping, but I made it through so that I could finish triumphantly.

Now that I'm caught up with the rest of the world, I have to wait until next year to see what happens post hydrogen bomb explosion. What am I going to do without Saywer's nicknames and the creepiness of John Locke? I've left the island for a bit, and until I return in 2010, it's time to put that dedication of finishing the series into landing a job.

If only I could time travel back to when the market was as booming as that hydrogen bomb.


No comments:

Post a Comment