FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Small Budget Billionaires

I just can't get into self-help books. It's not that I'm embarrassed or ashamed of walking down that forbidden aisle in Border's, with the crying man and the girl who was just dumped by her boyfriend. There's nothing wrong with reading these kind of books, I just didn't buy into the movement. And shoot me, because I never read "The Secret."

But there is one book on the market - part self-help, part finance, part genius - that I'm thinking I need to invest in.

"10,000 Ways To Live Large On A Small Budget," is the new Secret. Instead of the power of positive thinking, this book flat how tells you how to score free drinks, find cheap airfare, and other insider tips on how to save cash.

My friend Amanda should have written this book, she has so many tricks on how to get things for free or get back money. One of my personal favorites is her vodka-soda scam. She orders a soda water with lime. Then "accidentally" bumps into a guy, who then feels bad for spilling her "drink" and buys her an actual vodka-soda. Works like a charm, according to Amanda.

The actual authors write a personal finance blog called Wise Bread. I just checked it out, and I'm finding it to be pretty entertaining with some good cost-saving tips.

It takes a little more time and effort to score deals on things, but it's worth it when you think of the money you're saving. As consumers we spend too much on just about everything - I learned this when I worked in fashion and saw the mark-up prices on the clothes. It's rewarding when you find a way to pay less for something that everyone else is paying ticket cost. And it feels damn good to beat the system.

Order your new Bible now. You're wasting money for every day that you don't read and practice it's teachings.

No comments:

Post a Comment