FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Crocs In Hot Demand!!

I'm not the only one in awe of the Hermès phenomenon. After reading my blog post about the crowded NYC store, my friend Casey sent me a link to this article about the current high demand of Crocodile Birkins. The French luxury brand is breeding it's own crocodiles in Australia to meet the needs of wanting customers.

So my investigation of the recession-proof Hermès store reaches farther than the Upper East Side.

Are people still investing in luxury goods, because in the long-run these items will still hold their value?

Maybe the shoppers all put their names on the infamous waiting list three years ago when the market was booming, and now will not wait any longer to own the coveted it-bag.

On a side note, my inside sources confirmed that the waiting list is bogus, even if you're not a celebrity or editor. In fact, one of my girlfriends recently purchased her very own Birkin (with her own hard earned money). Last I heard, she hasn't started carrying the bag because it seems too flashy during a recession. I applaud her for her compassion and humility. You earned that bag AC - don't be ashamed!

For those of us not in line at Hermès, read "Bringing Home the Birkin" by Michael Tonello. A perfect beach read, and the closest I'll be getting to a Birkin in the near (and probably far) future.

No comments:

Post a Comment