FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Monday, June 15, 2009

FUNemployment

When I look back on the last six months of my "retirement," I sometimes feel guilty for all of the fun that I've been having. Trips to Miami and Los Angeles, theme parties, BBQs, visitors, and just basically whatever I feel like doing; life is good. Or is it?

It's not that I haven't been trying to find a job. I have. I do. I checked online this morning.

I constantly send my resume to several companies and apply for jobs that I may not even qualify for, in hopes that they will see how insanely talented I am, and hire me anyways. I scan all the job Web sites, contact friends, look through all of my collected business cards to see if someone can help me find work. I really am trying, opposed to what some outsiders may think.

The only thing that keeps me sane is this blog. I seriously feel like it's my job. I even made business cards for God's sake! Someday it will be my money-maker, but for now it's my full-time, non-paying position that I love. I'm my own boss. I make my own hours. I take lunch when I feel like it and my office even has a bed and a kitchen. Sometimes it's hard living in your office - forget the finance guys who stay at work until midnight; they have it easy. I never leave my office. Ever.

So in the meantime of unsuccessful job-searching and constant blogging, excuse me if I want to enjoy my free time and have a little fun. Being a single, twenty-something-year-old girl in NYC during the summer may just be the best thing in the world.

I'm not the only one excessively enjoying funemployment. People all over the country (and world for that matter) are using this time as a way to reflect on what they really want, and of course as a time to play. Just read this article from the LA Times.

However, unemployment is not a matter to be taken lightly - the U.S. is currently at a 9.4% - some families are facing harsh situations and losing their homes and everything they have worked hard for. I am lucky to be young and only taking care of myself. While I'm laying out in Central Park on a Monday afternoon, I cannot help but think of the families in dire need of an income. It's heart-wrenching.

Believe me, I would really like to have a job right now. Telling people I'm a self-employed blog author is just not going to cut it. I've only made about 30 cents from Google AdSense, which maybe could have bought me a Hershey's bar in 1955. Since I don't have a time machine, I'll be dropping those 3 dimes in my piggy bank for now.

I'm not going to get discouraged, because I know that I will find a new position. Things are going to get better for me and for everyone else in the non-working world.

Until then, excuse me for enjoying funemployment a little too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment