FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What Recession?

Although I still haven't found a job, it seems that some of NYC is over this whole recession thing, and getting back into the days of conspicuous consumption.

Yesterday I had to run an errand for my Mom at Hermès. Don't get any ideas, one of her bangles needed repairing; I wasn't going in for Birkin. However, that's not to say that one of the other 20 women at the counter weren't.

I couldn't get over how crowded the store was at 4PM on a Wednesday! It's not like people were just admiring Croc bags and printed scarfs - they were actually buying things. I had to wait 15 minutes before being helped because the counter was as busy as Essex on a Sunday.

That was my first clue that maybe things are picking up. But then I realized, that was the Upper East Side, which is probably the most recession-proof neighborhood in Manhattan. So I thought nothing of it. The women were probably buying leather instead of Croc, one scarf instead of seven.

I thought my evening was ending around midnight when I had washed my face, put on my pajamas and crawled in the sanctuary that is my bed. I was wrong.

At 11:45, I get a text from SGS: "You wanna go out? Free drinks all night."

Of course, I'm intrigued. But tonight was our night off, after the past three weeks of going out nearly every night.

I responded nonchalantly: "?"

SGS: "Chris and the banker boy toys have $1500 to drop."

Me: "Shut up. Ugh I just got in bed. I srsly cannot go out S. I'm supposed to be rehabbing it tonight."

SGS: "You're going to miss out on BBTs."

That I did. In further investigation this morning, I found out that the boys' had just finished their second year analyst program, so the bank gave them a very generous tab to celebrate. WHAT?! I thought banks were suffering, cutting unnecessary costs, saving money!

And SGS told me this morning: "We popped champers like it was New Year's!"

Well, obvi it wasn't New Year's. But maybe it is a new New York? And by new I mean the old New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment