FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pacific Paradise

Hello friends and strangers! It's been a week since I've wrote on the Red Carpet, and I'm sorry for leaving you so high and dry without any notice.

Don't worry, I didn't get a job (yet). I've just been busy. And by busy I mean hopping around Hollywood, Malibu, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Venice, Hermosa and everywhere else around La La Land. Yes, unemployment is rough.

Part 2 of my home-cation consisted of staying at my friends' homes - rent free: no parents & no charge.

In case your parents don't live in a desert oasis like mine, the next best thing for an affordable vacay is to bunk with your friends who live in fabulous cities! You might not get the star treatment like your Mom gives you, but you'll party like one with your partner-in-crime.

The Memorial Day celebration started on Saturday in Manhattan Beach. My cousin Matt took me to his friends' BBQ on his astroturf patio right on the boardwalk. Talk about location. The day began with about a dozen surfer dudes and myself. Great ratio for me - I was pretty much in paradise.
Later, we watched the Lakers game at a beach bar and Matt introduced us to his favorite shot: the O-bomb. Take my advise and order one the next time you're out. You can thank me (and Matt) later.

Then I headed to Hollywood, with future Oscar-winning starlet and one of my best friends from SMU, Jennafer Ashley. My little aspiring actress showed me all around the hottest of hot spots for day and night. Our first night we found ourselves walking the red carpet into myhouse - the new "it" club off of Hollywood Blvd. The name of this club can get you into trouble; be careful when guys ask you where you're headed and you invite them to come to myhouse. They will think you already want to take them home before the night is over.

We didn't see any real celebs inside, but there was a Spidey citing out front. Except this Spidey is a skinny old dude with a bleached mullet wearing a SpiderMan suit. Same IQ as Spencer and Heidi combined.

We ended the night at the Hollywood landmark, the Roosevelt.... then followed the stars on Hollywood Blvd. to find our way back to Jenna's car. "Just look for Meryl Streep!"

The next day we brunched at The Grove, and we visited must-go spots such as Robertson Blvd., Rodeo, Melrose, Beverly Hills, Hollywood Hills, Fred Segal and more. We were exhausted but it didn't stop us from getting dolled up for the Sunday party at Hyde Lounge - conveniently across from Jenna's apartment. DJ Frankie was spinning and so were our heads.

We finally made it to bed around 5AM after some late night adventures with some interesting characters - fake accent and diamond earrings included.

Monday meant nursing our hangovers in Malibu. Then I was back in Manhattan... Manhattan Beach, that is. The biggest difference between our tiny island and this pacific beach: bankers vs. surfers. Bigger bank accounts or bigger biceps?

My long-lost sister/cousin Lindsay took me in, gave me a cold drink and a hot shower. She lived one street off Manhattan Beach and within seconds of great bars, restaurants, shops and COFFEE BEAN! I played nanny to her adorable Puggle, Lola, which made me re-think getting a designer dog anytime soon.

Lindz saved my life and let me borrow her car for the day to meet my Uncle George in hipster Venice for lunch at Gjelina. I have no idea how to pronounce this name, but it doesn't matter because my mouth was busy chewing the amazing food. We strolled down Abbot Kinney, a super-chic and trendy street located in the heart of Venice.

Back in Manhattan Beach, Lindsay and I were busy bar and restaurant hopping to all her favorite haunts. The darling beach town is just like Cheers, where everybody knows your name. Her bartender friends pour heavy and treated us to mucho Patron. Muchas gracias to the men of Mucho!

The week flew by when I think about everything that I did and all the places we went. It was a holiday to remember, thanks to all of my amazing friends and family who gave me a place to stay, treated me to a meal, danced all night with me, gave me a ride, showed me around and bought me an O-bomb. Cheers to you - and you know you have a place to stay in NYC should you need an East-coast escape.

Click to view full size image

1 comment: