FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Brand New Billy

The recession is lasting longer that my budget had hoped for, my severance check is long gone, and so are my shopping trips to Saks.

I was just about to kiss the thought of a new fall bag goodbye (or more appropriately, arrivederci, Miu Miu), when I realized that I already owned my brand new shoulder bag.

Recessionistas have to be resourceful.

I’ll start from the beginning. Earlier this summer I was carrying a three-year-old white Balenciaga bag. Poor Billy (yes, I name my purses), he was just looking wretched. He had traveled abroad, been back and forth from east and west coasts and was just plain tired. The white leather was cracking and Billy was starting to look like a Canal Street imposter. My Mom told me that I needed to (gasp!) get rid of Billy. Clearly, no second-hand store would accept him in such rotten condition, and he was past the point of a good cleaning. I couldn’t bear the thought of giving him away, and I wasn’t ready to part with my dear friend and traveling buddy.

Then it dawned on me. Billy just needed a makeover. The worn-down white just wasn’t doing anything for his figure. So I decided that a beautiful sapphire blue would do the trick to perk up old Billy, and make him like new again. Think of it as plastic surgery for a purse.

I did what any patient (or mother of patient in this case) would do, and researched the top surgeons (aka: leather dye companies) in NYC. After surfing the web and calling different places, I finally found Billy a reputable doctor.

I bought Billy into Angelo’s Shoe & Leather Repair on 53rd and 5th to drop him off for surgery. After carefully discussing with Vivienne, the very helpful woman at the desk, we came up with the perfect shade of blue for Billy. So I had one last look at old, wrinkled Billy and left him at Angelo’s.

10 days later, and it was time for Billy’s big debut! I was nervous going to pick him up. Would he still be the same Billy? Would people tell that he’s had work done? Will he look like a fake?

But, alas, I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to see the new Billy looked fabulous! He was rejuvenated and the color really bought out his features.

Girls, instead of shelling out a cool grand for your new fall it-bag, look inside your purse cemetery and see what old bag you can revitalize. I now have a brand new Balenciaga bag that cost me less than $100.

Now that Billy is brand new blue, he doesn’t have the blues anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment