FORGET THE "IT" BAG OR THE "IT" GIRL. THE NEW "IT" IS NOT HAVING "IT" AT ALL. THAT'S RIGHT MY FELLOW NEW YORKERS AND FRIENDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, UNEMPLOYMENT IS IN.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Fashion's Night Out

Last night was Fashion’s Night Out, which is like the Super Bowl for fashionistas. All of the major stores in NYC participated with cocktails, food, music, freebies, celebs, designers and more. It was a night not to miss so my fashionable girlfriends and I hopped around uptown for the festivities.

Although the event was to promote shopping, being a recessionista I had to keep my wallet closed, especially since the stores we visited were completely out of my budget. I knew as long as I didn’t drink too much champagne I wouldn’t be going home with a custom designed Chanel bag (bummer!).

So I rocked my long black one-shoulder jumpsuit (thanks to the Intermix warehouse sale) and my sequin Michael Jackson-inspired jacket and headed uptown for the fashion block party.

We had planned on starting at Gucci on Fifth for the free official FNO t-shirt, however the line wrapped around 56th Street, so Michele and I headed down to find a less crowded store. We stumbled in Versace because of the hot waiters holding dirty martinis - why not? I’ve never been in the store, but was completely taken back by the beautiful tile mosaics. This must be what Mr. Versace’s mansion looks like. After sipping down the strong martinis and oogling over a pair of sapphire blue suede platform pumps, we strolled to Saks.

Bad idea. It was a mad-house! The cosmetics floor looked like Times Square on New Year’s Eve, and although I would have loved a blow-out from Mr. Fekkai himself, we went upstairs to see if we could wait around for Justin Timberlake. The drink line was out of control, so we settled for guac-tinis (guacamole in martini glass) and decided we didn’t care to wait for JT. Bye! Bye! Bye!

Next we passed Dior where the mob was growing impatient for the arrival of Charlize Theron and stepped in Chanel. We were greeted with the cards to design your own bag and headed upstairs to browse the beautiful things and drink Proseco. Lauren and Molly met up with us after Molly spotted Anna Wintour on 57th. After a toast to Coco and all things Chanel, we made out way up Madison.

A detour in Furla then led us to Bally, which was bumpin! The music was so good and it was the best party of the night. Models were dancing near the DJ booth, and more hot waiters passed out Proseco, mini hotdogs, sliders, fries and s’mores. The highlight of Bally was when Rachel Zoe (and her husband Roger) and Nikki Hilton walked in. Rachel had on an amazing black (probably vintage) dress and huge wedges. We got a pic with her and Rodger – they were both so nice! I DIE! That party was BANANAS!

At Barney’s Mr. Manolo Blahnik was giving out shoes so we watched that for a while until I had a wardrobe malfunction - but Molly fixed it! We went to Bergdorf where the famous NY Times fashion photographer Bill Cunningham snapped some shots of Michele’s knee-high gladiator sandals when we walked in. Why didn’t he take a pic of my sequin jacket!? We missed the Olson twins bartending to we headed to Henri Bendel soon after.

So weird that Bendel’s doesn’t have clothes anymore. Just accessories, bags and makeup – but their collection is to-die-for. We tied on outrageous hats and headbands (think going to a party at Buckingham Palace) until the sparkle of Lavande vintage jewelry caught my eye.

I headed directly to the emerald and diamond choker fit for a Princess. I saw the girls who worked at House of Lavande that I had met last year during Fashion Week when I worked at HOLLYWOULD. They were so nice and let me drip myself in diamonds. The choker probably weird 2lbs and it was stuuuuuning. I wanted to walk out of the store with it so badly.

The energy of the night kept Lauren and I out a little longer, despite my throbbing feet, and we shuffled to Tao.

What a party! We didn’t even make it downtown where the likes of Rihanna, Victoria Beckham, Josh Hartnett and more celebs partied. It was impossible to cover the entire FNO territory – although I seriously regret not making it to Oscar de la Renta where he sang with Bette Midler, SJP and Barbar Walters! I hope this becomes a bi-annual event!

No comments:

Post a Comment